|Affiliation||Federation / Starfleet|
- For additional meanings of "Defiant", please see Defiant (disambiguation).
The USS Defiant (NX-74205) is the prototype of the Defiant-class of starships in use by the Federation in the 24th century. The Defiant was launched in 2370 and shortly assigned to Station Deep Space 9. The Defiant saw action during the Dominion War and was destroyed by the Breen at the Second Battle of Chin'toka in 2375.
The Defiant was originally designed in 2366 as the first of a new line of combat-oriented starships. While being officially designated as an escort, the Defiant-class was designed specifically to fight and defeat the Borg. However, soon after the Defiant prototype was completed, the reduction of the Borg threat and several design flaws caused Starfleet Command to postpone the project. The shakedown crews noted that the Defiant’s propulsion systems were so overpowered relative to a ship its size that it nearly "tore itself apart".
In 2375, the Defiant-class USS São Paulo was under the command of Vice Admiral William Ross for delivery to Station Deep Space 9 where she was placed under the command of Captain Benjamin Sisko. Sisko received special dispensation from the Chief of Starfleet Operations to rename the ship to USS Defiant in honor of the fallen USS Defiant.
- USS Defiant (2370) article at Memory Alpha, the canon Star Trek wiki.
- USS Defiant (2375) article at Memory Alpha, the canon Star Trek wiki.
- USS Defiant (NX-74205) (I) article at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki.
- USS Defiant (NX-74205) (II) article at Memory Beta, the non-canon Star Trek wiki.
- USS Defiant (NX-74205) article at Star Trek Expanded Universe.
|USS Defiant • USS Galaga • USS Indefatigable|