One of the major divisions of Vanguard Command and the Vanguard Fleet is Task Force Shogun. It is commanded by former USS Hood and USS Sovereign Captain and now Rear Admiral (lower grade) Robert DeSoto. It has as its flagship the Suzerain-class Fleet Carrier USS Shogun
Admiral DeSoto was among the first senior Starfleet officers to be recruited into Vanguard Command by Fleet Admiral Maximus Hunter. He accepted the transfer after having spent several years as Commanding Officer of the Sovereign-class starship USS Sovereign. DeSoto is considered one of the most celebrated captains in Starfleet.
Task Force ComplementEdit
Task Force Shogun has a full complement of fifty-four (54) starships, composed of:
- One (1) Suzerain-class Fleet Carrier, USS Shogun
- Two (2) Sovereign-class Battleships
- Two (2) Galaxy-class Battleships
- Three (3) Nebula-class Heavy Cruisers
- Three (3) Akira-class Heavy Cruisers
- Four (4) Prometheus-class Tactical Assault Cruisers
- One (1) Intrepid-class Scout
- Six (6) Norway-class Destroyers
- Eight (8) Steamrunner-class Escorts/Light Cruisers
- Sixteen (16) Saber-class Escorts/Frigates
- Three (3) Defiant-class Armored Escorts
- One (1) Hope-class Medical Cruiser
- Two (2) Nova-class Science Frigates
- Two (2) Ambassador III-class Supply Cruisers
Task Force Shogun is regularly deployed out of Deep Space Gamma Zero-One for three-month missions to any reachable point in the Gamma Quadrant. After each three-month mission, it returns to base for at least two weeks to allow its crews time for shore leave and for needed repairs, resupplies, refits and upgrades to its complement of starships.
Although the USS Shogun is the only starship in the task force with a Quantum Slipstream Drive, the rest of the task force can travel with it at slipstream velocity in tight formation because of the size of the slipstream tunnel produced by it.