A Tactical Officer is the person who is in control of all ship-based weapons systems. The Tactical Officer's duties are to maintain battle readiness of the ship and crew.
Duties and FunctionsEdit
Although battle orders are given by the commanding officer and executive officer, they will often delegate much of the fighting of the ship to the Tactical Officer, just as they will allow the Helmsman to take the initiative in maneuvering the ship in battle. As such, the Tactical Officer must be expert at the ship's defensive systems and offensive weapons in particular. In addition, he must research and know much about the offensive/defensive capabilities of any and all vessel types that might be encountered in the region of space that the ship is operating in.
The Tactical Officer conducts readiness drills, equipment inspections, live fire and simulated exercises. As a department head, the Tactical Officer also coordinates with the chief engineer to ensure that all offensive and defensive systems are maintained in peak operating condition. The helmsman will also coordinate with the Tactical Officer to come up with maneuvers that best complement the ship's offensive and defensive systems.
Known Tactical OfficersEdit
Known Chiefs of SecurityEdit
- Lieutenant commander Shia'le
- Tasha Yar - USS Enterprise-D (2364-2366)
- Worf - USS Enterprise-D (2366-2371); USS Enterprise-E (2372-2373)
- Odo - Deep Space 9 (2369-2375)
- Tuvok - USS Voyager (2371-2378)
- Zak Kebron - USS Excalibur (2373-2376); USS Excalibur-A (2376-2380)
- Sharise Bryant - USS Victory-D
- Constance Porter - USS Victory-D; USS Victory-E