The timeline featured in Star Trek: Pioneer is different to the canon timeline, due to changes seen in the new film. It won't follow the altered timeline either. This is a list of events preceding the start of the book "On a Knife Edge".
- Eiko Mushisaki is born on Earth.
- Starfleet announces plans to design a new type of ship, the Independence-class, the first new ship in 12 years.
- Construction of the USS Enterprise-J, the first Independence-class starship, gets underway.
- The Enterprise-J is launched from Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards.
- Construction of the USS Independence gets underway.
- The Independence is launched.
- Medji Crassana, a Zalkadian, is elected as the new Federation president.
- Edward Mantree is born on Earth.
- Nick O'Connell is born on Earth.
- Transquantic torpedoes are installed on the Enterprise-J.
- UFP President Medji Crassana orders Starfleet to find the main base of rogue organisation Section 31 on Fara Prime, and eliminate its members, in an event that becomes known as "The Purge". Many believe Section 31's existence ends.
- The Lakendian race becomes warp-capable, and applies for entry into the Federation.
- The Pioneer is launched from Archer IV.
- Starfleet Security finds another Section 31 base, and eliminates it.
- An unknown ship destroys five Klingon vessels and is projected to be on a direct course to Earth.
- The unknown ship - later revealed to belong to the Saer'nar - attacks Earth, causing atmospheric dissipation, killing nearly eight billion people. The ship is destroyed in orbit by a joint Federation-Romulan attack. This is the beginning of the Saer'nar Conflict.
- Medji Crassana is killed in the Saer'nar attack. After three months of deliberations, Lorel is named president in his place.
- The Federation Council and the Office of the President are moved to Lakendi II.
- The USS Renaissance, a deep space scientific vessel, is destroyed by another Saer'nar ship shortly before the completion of its five month mission to study a star in Klingon space.