Lieutenant Commander is a traditional naval rank. It was once used in the old navies of Earth, among them the United States Navy and the Royal Navy. In these organizations, a lieutenant commander was a grade between the ranks of lieutenant and commander.
A lieutenant commander can serve as either the commanding officer or executive officer of small- to medium-sized vessels or serve as the department head (in addition to being the second officer or third officer) onboard a larger vessel.
Known Lieutenant Commanders
- Charles Tucker III - Enterprise
- Montgomery Scott - USS Enterprise
- Leonard McCoy - USS Enterprise
- Data - USS Enterprise-D
- Deanna Troi - USS Enterprise-D
- Tuvok - USS Voyager
- Tem Inasi - USS Enterprise-F
- Korlo - USS Marvel
- Kira Avery - USS Marvel
- Five of Seven - USS Marvel
- Everett Jackson - USS Marvel
Rank insignia of Starfleet lieutenant commanders