The Conn Officer, or Flight Controller, was responsible for piloting a vessel. The Chief Conn Officer oversaw the team of flight controllers assigned to a starship or station.
Duties & Functions
In the early years of Starfleet, the positions of starship Navigator and Helmsman were held by two different individuals, but by the 2360s Federation starships had become sufficiently automated to allow one highly trained officer to carry out both duties.
In battle, the conn officer carried out all evasive and tactical maneuvering of the ship. The officer was often given weapons-release authority to better coordinate intricate maneuvers with the firing of offensive systems. Conn officers also served as the pilots of shuttlecraft assigned to starships and stations.
Because of the importance of the position and the high level of piloting experience required, conn officers usually held the minimum rank of Lieutenant.
Known Conn Officers
- Lieutenant Hikaru Sulu - USS Enterprise
- Ensign Wesley Crusher - USS Enterprise-D
- Lieutenant Matthew MacTavish - USS Enterprise-D
- Tom Paris - USS Voyager, USS Invincible
- Ensign Nog - USS Defiant
- Lieutenant Adriana Watley - USS Pioneer
- Ensign Philomena Kasun - USS Pioneer
- Ensign Lijaro Nabam - USS Pioneer
- Lieutenant Commander Lillian Crusher - USS Victory-D
- Lieutenant Commander Riley Shepard - USS Valiant
- Lieutenant Desoco - USS Marvel