A Flag Officer-in-Command, or FOIC, is a commissioned officer who is senior enough to be entitled to fly a flag to represent where he/she exercises command.
Duties & Functions
An FOIC is the Commanding Officer of a major unit or subdivision of Starfleet, which has several single-commands under its jurisdiction. This may be a task force, a starbase, a fleet, or any other command assignment of equal magnitude. As such, an FOIC performs the same duties as a CO but in a much larger scale and over several individual Starfleet commands.
FOIC's that command non-mobile field divisions of Starfleet are sometimes called Sector Commander, which implies command over a sector of interstellar space under Federation control.
The term can only apply to flag officers of Starfleet, specifically those who hold the rank of Commodore / Rear Admiral (lower grade) and above. Since Fleet captains and captains are not of flag rank and are instead senior officers or line officers, they are not designated as flag offficers in command.
- Fleet Admiral Maximus Hunter - Vanguard Command, Vanguard Fleet, and Task Force Ticonderoga
- Rear Admiral Jean-Luc Picard - Task Force Invincible
- Rear Admiral James KIrk - Task Force Rogue
- Rear Admiral William Riker - Task Force Paladin and Iota Leonis Command
- Rear Admiral Benjamin Sisko - Task Force Belligerent and Denorios Command
- Rear Admiral Razal Gibran - Task Force Dauntless and Abraxis Command
- Rear Admiral Robert DeSoto - Task Force Shogun and Beta Circini Command
- Rear Admiral Kathryn Janeway - Task Force Viceroy and Anuva Command
- Rear Admiral Mackenzie Calhoun - Task Force Regent and Berengaria Command
- Commodore Tryla Scott - Task Force Enterprise
Other Flag officers in other alternate universes
- Rear Admiral Toby Henstrand Task Force Perd ( As of 2390)