The Chief Engineering Officer, simply Chief Engineer, or Ship's Chief Engineer (SCE), was responsible for the repair and maintenance of all systems of starships or stations.
Duties & Functions
This included pre-scheduled preventative maintenance, system upgrades and repairs to correct malfunctioning or damaged systems. The SCE was easily the most demanding officer posting aboard a starship or space station next to the commanding officer, because the chief engineering officer's responsibility was virtually every part of the ship or station, with the exception of the crew.
The SCE was a department head position requiring a rank of Lieutenant or above. On large vessels, the chief engineering officer was usually a Lieutenant commander. If the chief engineer held the rank of captain, then that officer would be known as the captain of engineering.
Known Starfleet Engineers
- Lieutenant Commander Charles Tucker III - Enterprise
- Lieutenant Charlie Strauss - USS Artemis
- Lieutenant Commander Montgomery Scott - USS Enterprise, USS Enterprise-A
- Lieutenant junior grade Geordi LaForge - USS Enterprise-D, USS Enterprise-E
- Chief Miles O'Brien - Deep Space 9
- Lieutenant B'Elanna Torres - USS Voyager
- Commander Burgoyne 172 - USS Excalibur, USS Invincible
- Nicole Rahall - USS L'Étoile du Nord
- First of Eight - USS Federalist
- Jasper Kingsley - USS Pioneer and USS Hawthorne
- Tricia Jensen - USS Pioneer
- Robin Lefler - USS Excelsior
- Stephanie Thomas - USS Victory-D & USS Victory-E
- Charlene Tate - Deep Space 12
- Tina Campanelli - USS Valiant
- Julia Watson - USS Helena (NCC-80455)
- Lieutenant Mojisola Okowe - USS Paramaribo (2397-)
- Lieutenant Kirayoshi O'Brien - USS Enterprise-F
- Commander Telles - USS Marvel (2410-2417)